Szeged Microbiology Collection (SZMC)
Curator: Dr. Tamás Papp
Szeged Microbiological Collection is maintained by the Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Science and Informatics, University of Szeged (H-6726 Szeged, Közép fasor 52, Hungary, Head of the Department: Prof. Dr. Csaba Vágvölgyi; web: http://www2.sci.u-szeged.hu/microbiology).
SZMC is a member of the World Federation of Culture Collections (WFCC reg. no.: 987; http://www.wfcc.info/ccinfo/collection/by_id/987).
The collection contains nearly 7000 fungal and 1000 bacterial isolates. This number is continuously increasing from isolations by the co-workers of our department, receiving isolates from Hungarian and foreign research institutions, hospitals and agricultural and biotechnological partners. The fungal collection represents over 100 genera of Ascomycetes, Basidiomycetes and the groups of the former Zygomycetes and maintains significant sub-collections of Aspergillus, Penicillium, Trichoderma, Fusarium, Cochliobolus, Mucor, Rhizopus, Mortierella, Saccharomyces and Candida spp. The main part of our bacterial collection consists of strains isolated from soils in the frame of various soil fertilizing, bioaugmentation and biocontrol studies.
Our activity focuses on:
- Storage and maintenance of microorganisms
- Identification and culturing service
- Profiling of microbial bioactive compounds
- Physiological and molecular characterization of microbial strains
- World-wide exchange of micro-organisms, natural products and research data
- Ultra-deep freezer -80 C in glycerol
- Under oil
- Silica gel (Fungal spores)
- Sub-culturing (Fungi)